Our maintenance programme keeps homes up to standard. It covers work like:

  • Window and door replacements
  • Central heating upgrades
  • New kitchens and bathrooms
  • Cyclical painting
  • Electrical upgrades.

Can I make changes to my home?

You must get written permission from us before making any home improvements. This includes:

  • Cable TV or satellite dishes
  • Garden fences and gates
  • Central heating systems
  • Laminate or wood flooring (if you have neighbours below you we will not give you permission)
  • Showers
  • Cat flaps
  • Tumble dryer vents
  • Your gas or electric meter; and gas, electrical or plumbing installations.

If you don't get our written permission we may ask you to return the property to its original state. You'll have to pay for this work.

You are responsible for any repairs to home improvements.

Can I get help to adapt my home?

We may be able to help you stay in your own home by simply making a few adaptations, such as fitting grab-rails - as well as other adaptations such as installing ramps, showers and stairlifts.

Contact your local social work department first or arrange a visit from an occupational therapist. They'll make an assessment which will tell us how we can help you.

Report a repair

The quickest way to report a repair is with your online account.